Tips for Healthy Beautiful Hair, from Jenn!
1. Use high quality shampoo and conditioners. In order to nourish the hair on the inside of the follicle, the molecules have to be a lot smaller to penetrate the hair and nourish from the inside. It’s the more expensive ingredients that target the real issues on the inside. This is the foundation of good hair care so invest in your hair!
2. Get a Silk pillowcase ASAP! Linen and cotton pillowcases cause friction, breakage and can literally wipe the shine off your cuticle. Silk pillowcase to the rescue! You hair and skin slide effortlessly off the surface. Another bonus it’s cool in the summer, warm in the winter and resists mold, fungus and dust mites. Did you know most hotels will provide one for you if you ask!
3. Get a Shower head filter. Easy to install, all you need is a wrench. Chlorine and hard minerals in the water damage hair, fade color and cause constant dryness. Aquasana carriers some great ones www.aquasana.com. As well as the company Sprite www.spritewater.com
4. Deep Conditioners. Treat your hair to moisture mask once a week. Your hair is made out of the same keratin your nails are, the older and longer they get the more dry and brittle they become. I can’t stress enough how important a weekly moisture mask is for your hair!
5. Gently blot your hair, do not rub when drying, this will cut down on frizz and breakage. Try to remove as much moisture as possible with a towel before hitting it with a blow dryer. This will not only cut down on drying time but also damage as well.
Great hair doesn’t just happen by accident, it takes real work and care. Follow these tips for your best hair ever!
6. Don’t put your hair up wet or super tight. Hair is fragile and springy when wet, it easily snaps and breaks. When your hair is dry it’s much stronger but still make your ponytails low and loose.
7. Take Biotin, Omegas, and get enough protein in your diet to help build hair. Make sure you are getting PLENTY of good protein. If you don’t get enough your body will take it from your hair and skin to go towards your organs, it will literally age you.
8. Use hair sunscreen. If your hair has prolonged exposure to the sun, UVA and UVB rays can damage the outside cover of the hair strand, called the cuticle. Signs of sun damage to your hair include discoloration, dry and brittle strands, broken or split ends, thinning and frizziness. Damaged hair has a dry look and feel. Use a spray with sunscreen daily to protect your hair and your scalp. Oribe’s Foundation Mist is a great option!
9. ALWAYS use thermal heat protection! When hair gets overheated it swells and cracks, weakening the hair strand in different areas down the shaft.
10. When having a pool or beach day, take along a gallon of distilled water to rinse the salt and chlorine out of your hair frequently throughout the day and apply a heavy conditioner after each rinse. Chlorine and Ocean salt will lodge itself in your hair and cause extreme dryness over time.
Follow these tips and watch you hair look AND feel better and better!